Verizon Wireless prepares year-round for natural disasters and other emergencies to provide customers with reliable wireless coverage. Verizon Wireless’ ongoing efforts to establish a reliable network include:
– Investing $6 billion annually on average in its national wireless network to provide the nation’s largest and most reliable voice and 3G data networks, and its 4G LTE network – the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network – in select markets. Nationally, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $65 billion in its network since the company was formed.
-Cells on Wheels (COWs), Cells on Light Trucks (COLTs), and Generators on Trailers (GOaTs) that can be rolled into hard-hit locations or areas that need extra network capacity.
– Pre-arranging fuel delivery to mobile units and generators to keep the network operating at full strength even if power is lost for an extended period of time.
– Business continuity/disaster recovery plans so the company can continue vital operations to serve customers during emergency situations.
– Test men and women who travel more than 1 million miles to measure the quality of Verizon Wireless voice and data service calls across the country.
– Conducting hundreds of emergency exercises each year, simulating events such as natural disasters, transportation disruptions and power outages.
The company’s commitment to network reliability, business continuity and disaster preparedness have proven critical during and after past hurricanes and other disasters. Most recently, Verizon Wireless network teams worked round the clock following the devastating tornadoes in Alabama to fix cell sites damaged in the storms and increase capacity.
See a video of Verizon Wireless’ support in Alabama.
– News release: Verizon Wireless Urges Floridians to Prepare an Emergency Communication Plan For Hurricane Season. – “We Keep You Connected When You Count on Us the Most” takes viewers to Verizon Wireless cell sites, mobile cell sites, switches and other network operations to show how the company prepares for hurricane season and other natural disasters.
– Tips for preparing disaster communications plans and videos with details about Verizon Wireless’ preparations before, during and after an emergency are available at www.verizonwireless.com/emergencypreparedness.
– The latest network-related news, information and upgrades are available on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWNetwork.
About Verizon Wireless: Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ:VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ:VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage
and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia .
SOURCE: Verizon Wireless
This press release is distributed by PR NewsChannel. Your News. Everywhere.